Becoming an H&R Block associate means more than just a paycheque; it’s an opportunity to grow with the strongest brand in the Tax Preparation industry. We are looking for people who want to help us look at peoples’ lives through tax and find ways to help. We know that the ability to deliver outstanding client service starts with having the best talent on our team, and if you want to be part of our success story then we want to hear from you!
We have proudly served clients in Canada for over 50 years, constantly evolving to meet our clients’ ever-changing needs. From our digital solutions to our offices, we constantly seek new ways to create frictionless and memorable client experiences.
We are looking for a Manager, Payroll & Benefits to join our team. This position is accountable for the overall management and direction of the Payroll and Benefits department. You will work closely with all associates, specifically, the Executive/Leadership Team, the HR team, and the Operations team to create trusted relationships as it pertains to Payroll and Benefits offerings at Block. Bring us your best in class ideas, think creatively about how our benefits offerings can help with building a culture of wellness, and work with our payroll and benefits providers to ensure our programs are competitive.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Oversee all payroll processes to ensure timely and accurate payroll processing for up to 8000 employees at peak.
- Responsible for leading, supporting, and training payroll staff including prioritizing workload, providing feedback and addressing and resolving all payroll related issues in a timely and effective matter.
- Oversees timely and accurate completion and submission of filings required by Federal and Provincial legislation, such as Records of Employment, Revenue Canada remittances, T4’s, etc.
- Ensures adherence to all internal controls, system standards, policies and audit requirements such as payroll, tax, employment standards regulations and deadlines, to minimize the risk to employees and the company.
- Proactively manage the relationship with providers for payroll/time.
- Work with the HR team for updates regarding compensation for CSC and the field.
- Proactively manages relationships and service agreements with providers for benefits, RRSP.
- Review benefits plan annual reporting and advise on overall program enhancements/savings.
- Confidentially facilitate all leaves; disability (STD/LTD), associate return to work accommodations, maternity leaves.
- Bring best practice in creation of wellness strategies for the company, aligns benefit offerings to provide best in class coverage.
- Launch wellness initiatives to the organization (corporate challenges, nutrition, fitness).
- Prepares analyses and presents financial information related to payroll, RRSP and employee benefits to Executive.
- Takes initiative to develop training materials for the organization, including delivering training for Payroll and Time and Attendance systems and processes.
- Effectively communicate or present on policies, programs, and services.
- Proactively identifies and implements opportunities for process and system improvements; makes recommendations and implements those improvements.
- Manages or participates in projects assigned.
- 7-10 years of payroll experience with a minimum of 5 years in a supervisory or management capacity; experience in a multi-provincial payroll environment is considered an asset.
- Completion of Canadian Payroll Association’s Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) program.
- Successful completion of a University Degree or College Diploma in Business, Finance and/or payroll.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to build, establish and maintain collaborative, service-oriented relationships with the payroll and benefits team, and internal and external stakeholders.
- High degree of integrity and the ability to ensure confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Excellent prioritization, organizational, and time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines and achieve high standards of service and performance.
- Strong understanding of multi-provincial payroll legislation, employment standards as well as other payroll/benefits rules and regulations.
- The ability to communicate effectively and professionally in both verbal and written form.
- Proficient in Excel with a demonstrated ability to produce high quality reports.
- Previous experience with an outsourced payroll/HRIS.
- Experience motivating, training and managing staff in a fast-paced environment.
If you are results-driven, passionate about Payroll, and meet the expectations outlined in this opportunity – and also enjoy working in a fun team environment; we invite you to send your cover letter stating salary expectations, along with your resume to: email@example.com
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. H&R Block Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people from all backgrounds, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.